Sunday, April 15, 2007

You Kids Get Offah My Lawn!!


The weather today was perfect for the 22nd annual Vancouver Sun Run. Cool ocean breezes, 75% scattered cloud cover and a mild temperature of 9'C.

This photo is quite fresh given that as I type this blog entry the final marathoners, the walkers, are still poring past my apartment. It's 11:15 AM Vancouver time and from the looks of it there is a good hour or so left before Beach Avenue switches from being a gigantic foot path back to just a regular scenic road.

As I've watched the walkers stroll past and did the mental math over my 3 hours of walking yesterday (13 km or so) I resolved that next year, as a minimum, I'll be part of the marathon and walk it. As always it's funny when I discover my own mental blinders. After 3 months of daily hikes of between 5km and 10km this year, as I've done 16 times before, I decided not to participate in the marathon because I'm not a runner.

Oooops.

Even though I walk the length of the marathon each week I let old habit guide me and decided not to do the marathon because I'm not a runner.

Pretty funny. Maybe in 2009 I'll run it. For 2008 though I'll be there power walking along with the rest of the over 40 crowd.

Congratulations to the 51,000 who "just did it".

Tune in tomorrow or the day after for a 7 minute 5:30 AM to 12:00 PM timelapse of Beach Avenue today. I did the same last year and it's a pretty cool video experience to watch a river of 51,000 people stream past.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very cool. Can't wait to see that timelapse...