Thursday, April 26, 2007

Nice Day ... If You're An Anaheim Mighty Duck!!


I'm a fair-weather hockey fan and with my home town Vancouver Canucks going up against the stinky Anaheim Mighty Ducks (Vancouver lost) and the Ottawa Senators going toe to toe with the New Jersey Devils (Ottawa won) I'm thrilled. Over the next few weeks I expect I'll watch more hockey than I normally see over the course of a year.

The rain continued today and after the Ottawa vs New Jersey game, right near sunset, I went out for an hour long walk in the rain and caught this photo of a glimmer of sunshine reflecting off one of the majestic and very wet iron sculptures on Sunset Beach. It's amazing what a bit of fill flash and your basic point-and-shoot camera can produce these days.

The environment this photo was taken in was a scenario these basic but powerful cameras are built for. Point & shoot cameras are easy to use, environmentally rugged and inexpensive to the point that I've no worries about bringing them along on a walk in the pouring rain. They can handle a bit of abuse and unlike a Nikon D80 (a camera that cost just over 10 times as much as my no-nonsense Cannon Powershot A530 5 mega-pixel camera) the little workhorse camera was there when the Nikon stallion was not.

As always diversity is the key. The right tool for the right time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have to correct you there :) Canucks won over Anaheim 2-1. Ever since Jannik Hansen started playing for VC, the results are posted over here too... :)

VancouverDoug said...

Yup. The game yesterday, the 27th, was a great game as well. Double overtime and a nice 2-1 win for Vancouver.

My reference though was to the thrashing we got the first game. 5-1 against. Ouch. :(