Monday, April 09, 2007

Lost Lagoon Heron


Several weeks ago Mike and I headed out to Lost Lagoon in Stanley Park to grab some nature photos in the fading light of an early spring evening. I was a bit worried that the lack of light would deliver little in the way of anything worth photographing.

Well, with a bit of fill flash, the occasional slow exposure and heavy reliance on Vibration Reduction lenses we wound up with dozens of really great shots. It was a result that makes me chuckle even more thinking of a quote I read from a professional nature photographer -

"If it's cloudy I won't even leave the house."

Almost sounds like the famous Linda Evangelista quote

"We have this expression, Christy and I: We don't
wake up for less than $10,000 a day"

Point ... what was my point? Oh yes, Lost Lagoon in Stanley Park.

Mike and I got quite a few good shots that evening including this pic of one of downtown Vancouver's resident Great Blue Herons. A very pretty bird that looks majestic both in flight with its 2 meter wing span gracefully plowing the air and while fishing on the shore. Standing over a meter in height they are hard to miss.

No comments: