Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Vivid Red and Polarized Blue

If the weather tomorrow is as good as it was today (nice and sunny) I certainly want to improve on today's flower photo. The tulips have begun to bloom and this pretty collection you can find at the entrance to English Bay Beach in Vancouver.

The sunshine was a bit uncooperative when I took this photo yesterday so I'm hopeful that with a bit of solar punch the already luscious red will be even more intense.



Today I zipped over to Granville Island market for a series of shots looking north at the corner of Beach Avenue and Hornby Street south. At this spot you'll find a good collection of very late 20th century residential towers that deliver not only perfect post card material but stellar views of English Bay for the residents.

It's an area that sits on the south west corner of what became Yaletown and, in my opinion, provides some wonderfully creative architecture. It's also a great place to get a hair cut. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't argue with you regarding your view but the architecture to me seems a little messy. I still wouldn't mind living there though :)

I have this Vancouver image on my desktop: http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper/details.php?id=678

Very nice. I like the glass but the shapes are messy in my opinion...

VancouverDoug said...

Messy is a good word for it. My label would be eclectic given that, in this photo in particular, what you see is roughly 75 years of architecture eclectically merged into a mess of shapes and colors.

The bridge on the left, the Burrard St bridge, was completed in 1932. The round tower dead center in the photo was completed in 1969. The squarish 'building that think's it's a ship' to the right was completed in 2004 and the remaining buildings built between 1985 and 1995.

Very messy. :)