Saturday, April 28, 2007

Bay of Fire - Sunset Beach

Sunset Beach is the perfect name for the stretch of Beach Avenue Vancouver between Thurlow St. and Pacific Ave. In particular during the middle of spring to the middle of fall. It's during this half of the year that the sunsets are slow to the point of being luxurious with, at the start of summer, twilight often lasting till nearly 11:00 PM.

Last night's demonstration of God painting with light was a classic show of fiery red. This photo was taken at 8:24 Pacific Daylight Time - roughly 4 minutes after the official time of sunset. It's a pretty dreamy image with no post-processing being done to the photo - not even my usual bit of digital sharpening. What you see is what I got.

With April coming to an end and my slightly broken promise of a post a day nearly up my blogging plans for May will be a bit different. I'll still have tons of new content (semi-daily) with a focus on old school Black and White and Color film photography. More importantly though starting May 1st I plan to post a week of sunset photos. Hopefully each will include a photo of a current sunset but the weather here in Vancouver during the spring tends to be 4 days of sun then 4 days of rain so there is no guarantee of decent images over the course of week. We'll see. My digital photography days started 8 years ago so I'm certain I can fill a gap or two from the archive if the weather washes things out.

And here's the usual reminder - click on any image to see a larger version of the photograph. I usually reduce the images to 33% of their original size but with a 10 mega-pixel camera that means a 3,872 x 2,592 image is reduced to something still pretty large - 1,278 x 855. Large enough in fact to create a decent 8 1/2" x 12" print.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, awsome colours - especially considering no post-processing. I wouldn't mind a 1680x1050 for my desktop :) please...