Saturday, February 03, 2007

Close Encounter of the Kitten Kind

Believe it or not I actually do have two cats. I know, I know, "Impossible." you say. "All we've seen on this blog is a never-ending series of cute pictures of Sirrus."

Photos of Sirrus, the most quirky cat I've had the pleasure of sharing space with not to mention a cat that was blessed with a great natural color palette (black and white), dominate my cute cat-pic folder.

Poor Sheba. As I learned with my previous generation of cats (two awesome male Bombay's Alfie & Owen) pure black cats, especially long haired ones, are very tough to photograph spontaneously. More often than not all I'll get is a picture of two dreamy green cat eyes staring at me from a fuzzy mass of black fur.

Here's a photo taken during the first hour spent with Sheba. She's 8 weeks old or so at this point and was confused enough and well lit enough to provide a nice composition. She's just as cute 5 years later (if not more) but remains a perpetual challenge to photograph. I think I'll make it a mini-goal of mine this year - get a good picture of Sheba.


The Georgian Bay Fog Monster

This winter has been the foggiest on record for Vancouver and, as you've seen if you've slid down to some of my earlier postings, has created no shortage of impressionistic photo moments.

This was an early morning shot (8:30 AM) last Thursday taken from my living room window with the long shadows of several of the West End Vancouver hi-rises caught as shadows in the bay fog. There's even a nice splash of sunrise pink in the upper left corner.

The rain returned today which will limit the photo opportunities for the next week or so. However I expect many cool pictures lie ahead and today I pushed my Seawall walk up to the edge of the devastation in Stanley Park. It's not a pretty sight and I plan to push my way deeper and deeper around the Sea Wall over the next few months to photograph the park's recovery. Naturally this blog will be ground zero for the photos and stories to come.

It's been a great week of blogging but it's time to shift gears for a bit and get editing some of the video that's been simmering in my DV camera for a month now.

As always comments and feedback about this blog and its content are very welcome and if you would like to see a larger view of any of the pictures just double click on it.

No comments: