Sunday, May 06, 2012

West End HDR May 06 2012 01a.jpg

I'd like to nominate the Vancouver city workers who came up with the epic idea of promoting gardening in what used to be ugly mounds of mud for the prize of "Awesome Vancouveritte(s) of the decade". Over the past few years citizen run gardens like this have been popping up all over Vancouver and personally I love them. Big time. They add color, fresh air and turn what would be a urban dead-zones (in this case the area underneath the Burrard Street Bridge) into a pleasant oasis. Two green thumbs up!

What I find even more impressive is how each garden I see smacks the urban-cynic in me up-side-the-head. At first I figured the evil anarchists that haunt the urban night would trash something so pretty simple because it's pretty. As it's turned out though (knock on concrete) I've yet to see any evidence of major trashing to any of the urban gardens I stroll past. Proof yet again that deep down inside, even in Vancouver, the vast majority of us are pretty decent people.

No comments: