Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Sunset Beach HDR 04a Apr 30 2012.jpg

I'm really warming to this series on a tech-art level. A nice fugue.
I shot these, on a blustery day on Sunset Beach in Vancouver as a 5 frame HDR series. Given the winds there was a near certainty that the shots would not align. High Dynamic Range software (Photomatix) to the rescue. The software allows me to tell the processing engine which areas of the image are full of movement. It can then set a better baseline for what should move and what should not and adjust the image as it see's fit. Digital stabilization taken to the next level.
The cooler part though is that what this feature really allows me as an artist is to use time (5 shots over 750ms or so) as a temporal palette. I can tell the software which parts are movement intense and which aren't. I could for example flag one section of the image as the absolute center of attention since it does not move. Quite cool when you think about it.
In this shot parts are in perfect focus while others are anything but. Hi Def Motion.

No comments: