Monday, February 07, 2011

The Erickson Vancouver Feb 04 2011 DSC_8039.jpg

The Erickson at False Creek in Vancouver. One of Vancouver's signature buildings designed by one of Canada's foremost architects Arthur Erickson. Sadly Mr. Erickson passed away just before his 85th birthday and just before this building was completed.

The Erickson is located at the corner of Beach Avenue and Homer Street and overlooks the inner bay of False Creek. This eye-popping masterpiece never ceases to amaze me and I've watched it 'grow' from an empty lot to this stunning nearly organic fusion of steel, glass and curves. For me this building, like no other, evokes a feeling of a man-nature hybrid emerging from the ground in a twisting dance of life. I can't help but think of those countless time lapse films I've seen of a flower opening each time I look at this icon.

If only all of Vancouver's buildings could be designed with such genius and attention to the art of architecture.

No comments: