Friday, September 29, 2006


Bay Fog Arrives
Sept.29.2006

It's proven to be yet another hazy and lazy fall day here in Vancouver made all the more beautiful by the arrival of the first blankets of Bay Fog (Hoar Fog for you purists) of the fall. I was able to get some nice stills while taking my car in for a tune-up at my regular dealership just south of the Granville Island market.

Once I'd dropped off the car and got back to start the work day I recorded some cool time lapse as the fog bank rolled in and out of English Bay. Hopefully I'll digest the post-production of the videos into something less daunting and get today's treat up on YouTube sooner rather than later.

Fog? We Don't Have No Stinkin' Fog!
Nov.2002

During the winter, from November to February, we'll get persistent banks of bay fog that often shroud the city for an entire week. By that point in the winter while we're pretty much used to perpetual moisture the fog itself is often a nice break from the unrelenting rain. Living high above English Bay has an advantage during this period in that the fog will often be low enough to let winter sunshine pour into my apartment. A cool damp atmospheric blanket that muffles the smells and sounds of the city.

No comments: